Privacy Notice - Nature Energy Group Recruitment
What does this Privacy Notice cover?
This notice sets out what personal information we collect, for what purposes and your rights in this respect.
This Privacy Notice provides information about personal information which are processed by Nature Energy Canada Inc. ("Nature Energy Group", “we”), which is part of the Shell group of companies (‘Shell Group’), in relation to individuals who apply to work for, or who attend a recruitment event or undertake an assessment with Nature Energy Group. This includes prospective employees, interns and contractors.
For individuals who are successful in their application for employment, internship or engagement as a contractor, the Privacy Notice - Nature Energy Group Employee, Contractor and Dependents’ available at https://nature-energy.com/privacy-notice-employee-contractor-dependents-ca will apply.
As well as this Privacy Notice, bespoke privacy notices and supplementary privacy statements may contain further information about how Nature Energy Group is collects, uses, or discloses your personal information. In those instances, such privacy notices will be communicated to you separately.
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we collect about you, why we are collecting your personal information and for which purposes, how long we hold your personal information for, how to access and update your personal information, as well as the options you have regarding your personal information and where to go for further information.
Who is responsible for any personal information collected?
Nature Energy Canada Inc. with registered office at 5005 Boul. Lapinière #1020, CA-Brossard, (Québec) J4Z 3H8, Canada will be responsible for collecting and processing personal information, either solely or jointly with its affiliates within the Shell group of companies.
Special Notice – if you are under 16 years old and wish to apply for a Nature Energy Group sponsored education or innovation event
If personal information of children is gathered this requires consent of the parent or guardian.
Except in those cases where Nature Energy Group organizes educational events specifically designed for children, we do not intentionally collect personal information of individuals under 16 years old. If you are under 16 years old (or a different age to reflect local legal requirement as communicated on the Nature Energy Group website in your location) please do not send Nature Energy Group your personal information for example, your name, address and email address. If you wish to contact Nature Energy Group in a way which requires you to submit your personal information (such as for education or innovation events) please get your parent or guardian to do so on your behalf.
What personal information do we collect about you? Collection of information
The categories of personal information we collect about you.
We collect personal information of individuals who apply to work for, or who attend a recruitment event and/or undertake an assessment (‘Applicants’).
This may include personal contact information, whether you have the legal right to work in the country in which you have applied, your application for employment, your qualifications and experience, results of interviews and assessments.
Sensitive personal information
For the purposes of recruitment, special categories of information (‘sensitive personal information’) including personal data regarding health information may be collected only as strictly required and as permitted or required by local law for the purposes of making adjustments to the recruitment process, for assessing eligibility for positions and fitness to work.
For what purposes do we use your personal information?
The purposes for which we process your personal information.
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Human Resources, personnel management, business process execution and internal management - including resource planning, and recruitment;
- Health, safety and security - including protection of an individual’s life or health, occupational health and safety, protection of Nature Energy Group’s assets and staff, authentication of individual status and access rights;
- Legal and/or regulatory compliance - including compliance with legal or regulatory requirements; or
We may also use your personal information for a secondary purpose where it is closely related, such as:
- fraud prevention, audits, investigations, dispute resolution or insurance purposes, litigation and defence of claims; or
- statistical, historical or scientific research.
Pre-screening of Applicants
We carry out screening of all Applicants who we intend to make an offer of employment, engagement or internship (as the case may be) and prior to any offer being confirmed for the purposes of:
- verifying the information that an Applicant provides during the screening/interview process. This will include verifying information with current/previous employers and educational institutions. No steps will be taken in this respect until the Applicant confirms the verification can take place;
- screening Applicants against publicly available or government issued sanctions lists and media sources. This is to comply with legal and regulatory obligations, to protect Nature Energy’s assets and employees/contractors and specifically to ensure that Shell Group can comply with trade control, anti-money laundering and/or bribery and corruption laws and other regulatory requirements.
Automated decision making and profiling
All applicants must answer questions which are necessary to ensure that individuals can lawfully enter into a contract with a Nature Energy Group company if they are successful in their application.
Why do we collect your personal information?
We will only collect your personal information where we have a lawful basis to do so.
We only collect personal information of Applicants:
- in order to take steps at the request of the Applicant prior to entering into a contract;
- where it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation to which the relevant Nature Energy Group company/companies is subject to ensure compliance with applicable employment, social security laws and regulations;
- where it is necessary for the legitimate business interests of Nature Energy Group (such as ensuring compliance with legal obligations other than those related to employment or social security, the protection of Nature Energy Group assets, reputation and Nature Energy Group employees and contractors) except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the Applicant.
In those cases where collection of the personal information is based on consent, subject to applicable local law which provides otherwise, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This will not affect the validity of the collection of your personal information prior to the withdrawal of consent.
Who will we share the personal information with?
Your personal information is exclusively processed for the purposes referred to above and will only be shared on a strict need to know basis with:
- Other companies within the Shell group of companies, including to those which may be located outside of your location;
- Authorized third party agents, service providers, external auditors and/or subcontractors of Nature Energy Group and/or Shell in particular authorized third parties who carry out reference and background checks on behalf of Nature Energy Group and/or Shell;
- A competent public authority, government, regulatory or fiscal agency where it is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation to which the relevant Nature Energy Group and/or Shell company/companies is subject to or as permitted by applicable law; or
- Any person to whom Nature Energy Group proposes to transfer any of its rights and/or duties.
Interacting with Nature Energy Group through social media
If you choose to interact with Nature Energy Group through social media on a Nature Energy Group administered social media page (‘Nature Energy Group Social Media Page’) - such as Facebook or LinkedIn, your personal information (such as your name, your profile picture and the fact that you are interested in Nature Energy Group) will be visible to all visitors of your personal webpage depending on your privacy settings on the relevant social media platform, and will also be visible to Nature Energy Group. You can delete any information that you shared on these sites at any time through your relevant social media platform’s account. Nature Energy Group does not track your activity across the different social media sites that you use. If you send a message to Nature Energy group via any messenger service on a social media platform, these messages are held for no longer than one month after receipt. Please contact Nature Energy Group if you wish to make a request that you are unable to action yourself and which relates to a Nature Energy Group Social Media Page - see the section below.
Additionally, and to the extent Nature Energy Group is jointly responsible with a social media platform of a Nature Energy Group Social Media Page, Nature Energy Group will have access through the social media platform to aggregated information providing statistics and insights that help to understand the types of actions you take on Nature Energy Group Social Media Pages. As this statistical/analytical data is aggregated, it is not personally identifiable. For more information on how your personal information is processed on those social media platforms, including any targeted advertising that you may receive, please refer to your privacy settings accessible through your relevant social media platform’s account.
Transfers of your personal information to other countries
Your personal information may be transferred outside of your country, subject to appropriate safeguards.
Where your personal information has been transferred to companies within the Shell Group and/or to authorized third parties located outside of your country we take organizational, contractual and legal measures to ensure that your personal information is exclusively used for the purposes mentioned above and that adequate levels of protection have been implemented in order to safeguard your personal information. These measures include Binding Corporate Rules for transfers among the Shell group and for Shell companies in the EU, European Commission approved transfer mechanisms for transfers to third parties as well as any additional local legal requirements. You can find a copy of Shell Binding Corporate Rules at https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/privacy.htmlor by contacting privacy-office-SI@shell.com.
Security of your personal information
Nature Energy Group is committed to safeguarding your personal information.
We have implemented technical, physical and administrative safeguards with the objective of protecting your personal information from unauthorised access and improper use or disclosure and will update these measures as new technology becomes available, as appropriate.
How long do you hold my personal information for?
Nature Energy Group only holds your personal information for a defined period of time.
We hold personal information of unsuccessful Applicants for at least 6 months but no longer than three years after the recruitment process or assessment has been completed.
If you are successful in your application, the personal information gathered through the recruitment process will be retained in line with the Privacy Notice - Employee, Contractor and Dependents’ Personal Information, which is available at https://nature-energy.com/privacy-notice-employee-contractor-dependents-ca, and from the website in your location.
What are the consequences of not providing your information?
Personal information requested and provided by Applicants are required in order to fulfil legal requirements and/or which is required for entering into a contract with you (or in the case of a contractor your employer/service provider). Failure to provide us with the information requested which is limited to that required for these purposes will negatively affect our evaluation process and, in turn, your chances of being selected for any potential employment, engagement or internship.
Your rights in relation to your personal information
Your rights and how to exercise them.
We aim to keep your personal information about you as accurate as possible. You can request:
- access to your personal information;
- correction, or deletion of your personal information (but only where they are no longer required for the legitimate business purpose);
- that the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information is restricted; and/or the extent it is not necessary for the recruitment processes
To make any of these requests, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can you contact if you have a query, concern, complaint, about your personal information?
If you have any issues, queries or complaints regarding the collection, use, disclosure, or safeguarding, of your personal information in relation to the recruitment, please contact the data protection coordinator on email@example.com.
You may also contact the Shell Group Chief Privacy Officer at Shell International B.V. The Hague, The Netherlands - Trade Register, No. 27155369 Correspondence: PO Box 162, 2501 AN, The Hague.
If you are unsatisfied with the handling of your personal information by Nature Energy Group as part of the Shell group, then you have the right to lodge a complaint to the provincial Office of the Privacy Commissioner or the Dutch Data Protection Authority whose address is Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens, PO Box 93374, 2509 The Hague, The Netherlands. Please visit https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl/en for more information.
Special Notice - For any technical issue regarding your recruitment process or in case of questions or comments regarding job opportunities at Nature Energy Group
Cookies and similar technologies
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice is updated over time.
This Privacy Notice may be changed over time. You are advised to regularly review this Privacy Notice for possible changes. This Privacy Notice was last updated in April 2023.